Monday, August 25, 2008

Tiny Love Musical Wonder Wheel...not so wonderful


My husband and I ventured out on our first roadtrip with our 14.5 month old baby. It was a four hour journey and I felt I was fully prepared. I had snacks, sippy cups, books, a detachable tray to attach to the carseat, and a Tiny Love Musical Wonder Wheel carseat toy. I had stowed this musical wonder wheel away, in anticipation of our trip. I knew that if I introduced it to my daughter too soon, she would quickly tire of it.

On the day of our departure, my husband quickly loaded the toy (consisting of two parts: the wheel and the screen to attach to the seat in front of the baby) with batteries, attached the farm-themed screen to the passenger side seat and clipped the "wonder wheel" to the buckle on her carseat. We put baby into the car and at first, she seemed enthralled with this new toy. She would push the cow button, for example, on her wonder wheel, and the cow would light up and "moo" on the screen in front of her. Seems genius, right? This exploration of the wheel went on for a good thirty seconds, until my daughter decided that it was much more fun to kick the screen instead. This repetitive abuse dislodged the screen and gave my daughter free reign with it. She decided that it was much more fun to beat it over her head and throw it around the car than to simply watch some silly lights. As for the wheel, that didn't last long either. There is no Velcro strong enough to withstand my baby, and within seconds she had removed it and thrown it on the floor. We repeatedly tried to re-attach the Tiny Love toy, but to no avail...she just did not care for it. My advice to snobby mommies: Wonder Wheel = waste of money!
What did work? Books and cheerios. These were the only two things that kept her happy. I guess the best advice is to just keep it simple and stay away from toys that seem too good to be true.

No comments: